11 May 2008

happy mother's day!

Photobucket
since it's mother's day, i dug up some pix of my mom & my grand-maman, who unfortunately died of cancer when i was only two, but who was so good to Magda (my mother) & Myriam (my aunt) who in turn passed on the love (and maybe even a little wisdom!) to my cousins, brothers & i...


here's a pic of my maternal family. my great grand-father & great grand-mother are holding hands sitting on the front row in the middle; my grand-parents are to their immediate right. to their left sits my great great grand-mother, and to her left my mother's aunt "tante soeur" which in French is auntie sister (she was a nun & the head of a catholic convent). my grand-father Rufyn was the eldest of 4 brothers & 3 sisters... my mother is the one in white sitting on the lawn between 2 boy cousins; she was my great grand-father's first grand-daughter... my entire maternal family would often get together then at the family's country home in Flanders, north of Brussels:
Photobucket
grand-papa & grand-maman in front of a phone booth in Cape Town, where they lived during World War II & where my mother was born:
Photobucket
grand-maman in the Congo:

Photobucket
grand-maman with my mother in
Bukavu:
Photobucket
a holiday picture of my mother:
Photobucket
my mother with her baby sister, my aunt & god-mother Myriam:
Photobucket
back in
Belgium with grand-maman & grand-papa:
Photobucket
my mom with my aunt again:
Photobucket
she was my great grand-father's favorite, biensûr:
Photobucket
Marcy & my mom grew up together in Africa. they've remained best friends to this day. here she is at Marcy's first wedding in Brussels:
Photobucket
my mom & i in Portland, Oregon, where i was born:
Photobucket
watching grand-maman's plane leave after one of her visits:
Photobucket
in
Lyon with my brother Eric in her arms:
Photobucket
with Eric again:
Photobucket
Eric & i with our mother, right after giving birth to Jonathan in Lyon:
Photobucket
at Disneyland in 1981 i think; i'm the one on the left; representing in LA our primary school
Le Verseau haha:
Photobucket
back at our
Genval home with my brother Jonathan:
Photobucket
Genval is where cousins & friends would drop by constantly to play soccer on our vast backyard lawn, for BBQs when the weather allowed & we even had the pool filled with water on a few summers. we'd also take long walks around the lake, took a few sailing classes on windy days but i remember capsizing more than anything else. paddle boats were more fun. and this is where we grew up horse riding 2 short train stops away in the middle of the beautiful Forêt de Soignes. the riding club was my temple... picture Ang Lee's "The Ice Storm" but set in Genval in the 80s. that was us in a nutshell! anyhew...
belgian summers are fickle, so we spent many holidays at Marcy's villa on the French riviera... here's my mom and Jonathan by the pool (i actually knew how to swim before i started to walk):
Photobucket
and here we are soooo not posing back in Genval:
Photobucket
this is just outside of
Würzburg at my step-dad's family home:
Photobucket

in 1990 just outside of Quito, at the foot of the Cotopaxi, the highest active volcano in the world. Magda, André (my 1st friend from the french int'l school, my brothers & i attended, whose parents kindly showed us around), me, Jonathan, Eric & Gunter:
Photobucket
later in Caracas i took this portrait of my mother; here are more pix of us on the beach in Venezuela... and here's my mom being a good catholic when Gunter & her met Pope Jean-Paul the Second:
Photobucket
2007 in
Bruges also known as the Little Venice of the North:
Photobucket
and here are a few more pix taken the last time my 2 brothers & i were reunited in DC with Gunter & Magda...